Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Misused Love: Part One

I seem to have a good bit to say on this subject. This is mainly because of how important love is to God's ministry. I'll break this topic down into multiple parts that I will post weekly. It's simply too much to cram in right now.

I foresee these installments becoming troublesome for most. This is because the idea of “love” is so misconstrued that this study will introduce such a challenge in which some must drastically revamp their initial comprehension of what love is. This situation is due to our cultural connections and rejection of God’s intentions of love.

Love seems so important in the modern world. Valentine’s Day brings roses and gifts that are given to people we truly love. Holidays mark special times we spend with loved ones. Weddings lavishly spread love’s tugging sensation into the hearts of the guests. Even anniversaries show us how some people are able to love each other through the hardest of times. These are all great things that do express the gift of love that God has given us, but it’s weakened in this world due to our sin. We’ve crafted a weak, conventional conception of “love” that’s selfish. We tell ourselves that we’re loving Christians but turn our heads from uncomfortable situations where love is needed most. We stand with our family and friends in a close knit circle imprisoning our love from the outside that desperately needs it.

While having strong care and love for the ones we are close to is a good thing, keeping it from reaching beyond our comfort zone to “outsiders” is where the misuse begins. Study this passage:

If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? (Matt 5:46-47)

What do these verses tell us? Does it make you examine your life? Do you live your life according to Christ’s words? I can’t say that I have followed this even partially in the past. One afternoon as my wife, brother, and I were driving to Arkansas from Tennessee, we stopped to get gas and some food for the road. As I was about to pull back out of the gas station parking spot, I noticed a lump of faded blue sticking up from the grassy field next to the road. As I peered closer, I noticed it was a man sleeping in the grass with his denim jacket covering his face. His pants and boots were dirty and mud caked. I briefly looked at the sandals I was wearing at the time contrasting my comfort to his, but my eyes drifted over to my brother’s over-sized strawberry muffin he just bought just in case someone needed it. For a split moment, I thought of grabbing the muffin and running it over to the man, but I put the truck in reverse and left instead. My fear kept me from showing Christ’s compassion. I didn’t know what everyone in the car would say; I didn’t know what the man would say. I know that I wouldn’t have received any ridicule, but I convinced myself this with lies in order to keep out of an uncomfortable situation, and it still haunts me at times. Can you think of a time in which you have squirmed out of a similar situation? Many have done comparable things with the homeless, handicapped, or anyone that makes them feel uncomfortable.

How did Jesus live in regards to this idea? He loved his family and his apostle very much, but he did not stop there and nor should we. He illustrated his Godliness through his grace and compassion. He healed the sick, welcomed the poor and sinful, embraced the children, and ultimately gave his life for everyone including those he had not spoken with in the world much less even physically seen. This is the true exemplification of God’s love. He gives his grace to all no matter their social background, their cleanliness, their home life, occupation, race, or even nationality. He died for all.

Take some time to think about the God’s grace. This undeserved love is given to us regardless of our sins because Christ has taken the punishment for us. That is absolute love: to live a perfect life enduring persecution and death for those who rightly deserve eternal punishment. God looks beyond our sin and loves us for what Christ has done, but it does not begin there; he has always loved us even though we have repeatedly turned our backs on him. While he asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, he already knew that he was going to do the same thing himself. Jesus Christ, God incarnate, willingly came to take our sins upon himself for our sake. Pay close attention to the word “willingly.” Christ didn’t come out of any requirements. It didn’t benefit him. It was all done for us. We must look beyond ourselves to others. God’s grace dwells inside his people, and it’s our obligation to spread this love.

No comments:

Post a Comment